Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Most Delicious Salad

I made a fantastic salad tonight.

You know that feeling when you're sick and nothing sounds good?  Well I had that feeling to the max tonight, and finally (after much putting-off of dinner-time decision-making) settled on a salad.

And boy am I glad I did.

Basically a Salad Nicoise, but without the meat/seafood (because you all know I'm vegetarian), with homemade creamy balsamic vinaigrette and some toast on the side.


My dressing ingredients (recipe below)


My salad ingredients (also listed below)

Alas, I was so excited to eat the dang thing, I forgot to take a picture!  Suffice to say it was beautiful.  And even more beautiful in my belly.

Creamy Balsamic Dressing: 

4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tbs. nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
2 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. seasoning (I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute)
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil

Whisk dry ingredients with the yogurt until well mixed.  Whisk in the balsamic vinegar.  Whisk in the olive oil.  Feel free to play with ingredients and ingredient amounts- next time I'll probably add slightly less vinegar (or a different type of vinegar!)  I know my photo shows mustard, but I ended up not using it since the dressing was already tangy without it.

Salad:

Butter lettuce
Artichoke hearts
Roasted peppers
Roasted asparagus
Roasted potatoes (tossed in a little salt and pepper)
Olives (I like the TJ's olive medley)
Hard boiled egg (my favorite method to hard boil eggs is here)
Feta Cheese
Tomatoes
Avocado
Whatever else you want!

Enjoy!  I know I did...and next time I'll remember to take a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment