Monday, April 9, 2012

A Room for My Bed

One of the many reasons I love my house: my cozy bedroom nook.  I live in a studio, and therefore don't have an actual bedroom, but the nook gets the job done.


It's hard to see, but there is a built-in bookcase/shelf that runs the bottom length of the far wall. Inside is my collection of books and plays, and on top is my favorite duck lamp (which has always been a favorite of mine, much to the chagrin of almost everyone I know)!  My bed, a little closer:


Above my bed are two of my favorite pieces of art.  The tree is a collage made by my sister, Xue, and the orange-framed one is the cover of a children's book called "If"  by Sarah Perry.  The book is made up of beautiful watercolors of scenes that could only exist in the imagination of a child (or in the imagination of an artist; the two are, I believe, very similar).  You can check out more about the book HERE.  The cover image shows green fish growing on a tree where the leaves should be.  My mom gave me the framed picture this past Christmas.  She knows me well.


Moving along to the shelf by my bed, I've got a fun collection of sentimental items...


First, my green light-up owl (uses a green bulb!) that belonged to my grandma.  I have memories of arriving at her house in San Diego to visit and immediately rushing into the bedroom to turn on the owl lamp.  

The brown owl is one I purchased at a thrift/curio store in downtown SLO.  The 'Olive You' painting I bought at a sale in Cambria (my hometown) during a day trip with Luke.  It was the only thing of the artist's that I liked, and at the time (I was completely broke) $18 was a lot to spend on something frivolous like art.  Looking back, I'm so glad I bought it.  I love the colors.




Next is a piece painted using a stencil- designed, created, and given to me by a friend. I've always loved it.  The mask is one that I bought in Venice.  The K is one that I DIY'd.


The Avila postcard is vintage and is one of several that I bought for a friend and then had to go back and buy some for me!  The framed painting next to it is the beginning of my nickname, Kee, made by a street vendor is San Francisco- I've had it since junior high.



Lastly is the sweet little turquoise-colored ceramic elephant (my favorite animal), which Luke bought me at an antique store on our vacation to Cedar City, Utah.  It's actually hollow and is a planter, but I prefer to keep it empty.



Until I started writing this post, I hadn't realized how many special pieces and items I've collected.  But that's always the way I've viewed art collecting; it should mean something.  None of this "I kinda like it and it's something to put on the walls" stuff for me- if it's gonna take up space in my house, then it better have a memory attached to it!



No comments:

Post a Comment